Sunday, January 11, 2009

Annual No Pants! Subway Ride

Keep your pants on!

It is not unusual to meet the weird and the wonderful on a subway ride in New York. So, any real New Yorker will keep his poker face when some strange character makes a scene in the subway. However, the Annual No Pants! Subway is known to raise the eyebrows of even the most experienced New Yorker...

Each year, ImprovEverywhere organizes a get-together of people willing to drop their pants in public, in the subway. Last Saturday, approximately 1,200 people participated and went on a ride on several subway trains without their pants on... while outside it was snowing!

This was the result of last year's No Pants! Subway Ride.

Improv Everywhere also organizes other daring and hilarious events. These are my favourites:

Food Court Musical
Frozen Grand Central
No Shirts... in the famous Abercrombie & Fitch

3 comments:

  1. "Food Court Musical" is fantastic. I just watched it on you tube.
    DV

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to disagree, but English is not. Repeat not, a universal language!

    I live in London and if anyone says to me “everyone speaks English” my answer is “Listen and look around you”. If people in London do not speak English then the whole question of a global language is completely open.

    The promulgation of English as the world’s “lingua franca” is unethical and linguistically undemocratic. I say this as a native English speaker!

    Unethical because communication should be for all and not only for an educational or political elite. That is how English is used internationally at the moment.

    Undemocratic because minority languages are under attack worldwide due to the encroachment of majority ethnic languages. Even Mandarin Chinese is attempting to dominate as well. The long-term solution must be found and a non-national language, which places all ethnic languages on an equal footing is long overdue.

    An interesting video can be seen at http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_YHALnLV9XU Professor Piron was a former translator with the United Nations

    A glimpse of Esperanto can be seen at http://www.lernu.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Brian-Barker,

    I should have put a disclaimer somewhere on this website, my fault, but this blog nor its content does purport to give any political, linguistic or other advice on languages or other hot topics. It is merely intended to be entertaining (if at all).

    My apologies if I have offended any other universal languages but I'm afraid that my knowledge of Mandarin Chinese or Esperanto won't suffice to keep this blog entertaining. This being said, I have corrected the sentence concerned and thank you for your reaction.

    ReplyDelete